Greetings and welcome.
y name is Jerry Alatalo, an independent writer from Michigan in the United States. I live on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the folks are affectionately called “Yoopers”. I studied at Northern Michigan University and worked in the western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois for twenty years before taking a swing at writing. My original writings on all posts at this blog are free to share or reproduce in any manner, without copyright concerns.
A few of the writings which have influenced my perceptions:
- The Great Thoughts. Journalist George Seldes compiled this book of the thoughts that have determined the intellectual history of the world – “From Abelard to Zola, from Ancient Greece to contemporary America, the ideas that have shaped the history of the world” – between the years 1960 and 1984. From the back cover: “This is his work of a lifetime – to be read for a lifetime.”
- A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn. In this powerful classic book, Howard Zinn gave us the real history of America.
- What Is Art? by Leo Tolstoy. In Leo Tolstoy’s nonfiction powerhouse, considered by Mahatma Gandhi as Tolstoy’s masterpiece, he told us that art must convey the highest current spiritual thought on Earth, and that true art results in a literal improvement of the human condition.
- All Men Are Brothers by Mahatma Gandhi. Mahatma Gandhi always carried a copy of the Bhagavad Gita with him. He considered it his personal Bible. We learn why when reading this classic.
- Rolling Thunder by Doug Boyd. Amazing biography of the Native American medicine man who was known as Rolling Thunder.
- The Media Monopoly by Ben Bagdikian. Ben Bagdikian’s revealing and ground-breaking book examined concentration of power in the media industry.
- The Third Millennium by Ken Carey. Ken Carey described in spiritual language what humanity would experience in 2013, and beyond.
- Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky. Similar to Mr. Bagdikian’s groundbreaker, Noam Chomsky shows how the media becomes used to effectively mold public opinion and perceptions.
- A Course in Miracles by Helen Schucman. A profound spiritual text which has touched and improved the lives of millions.
- Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins. John Perkins dealt with democratically elected leaders of countries who died while in office. Perkins wrote the book to do what he could to help build a better world for his children and grandchildren.
- Black Elk Speaks by John G. Neihardt. The profound biography of Sioux Medicine Man and Holy Man Black Elk.
- The Bhagavad-Gita. One of the great religious classics of world literature. It inspired Thomas Merton, Henry David Thoreau, Mahatma Gandhi and T. S. Eliot.
- The Life Divine. By the philosopher and spiritual pioneer Sri Aurobindo (1872-1950) of India, one of the most complete, profound, essential and timeless works of philosophy, consciousness and spirit of all time, downloadable for free at: http://www.auro-ebooks.com/the-life-divine/
- Plus many others…
We all need balance, so…
- Any Far Side Book by Gary Larson. The most humorous cartoonist ever. Period. Perhaps many of you have experienced the superbly funny Gary Larson.
The following websites are recommended:
- www.filmsforaction.org / A community-powered site where hundreds of social change documentaries are available for viewing. You will find a very concentrated amount of valuable information at this website. You can also post your documentary for the world to see.
- www.veteransforpeace.org / Veterans For Peace is a global, non-profit, educational and humanitarian organization. Members include veterans and civilians from around the Earth dedicated to increasing public awareness of the true costs of war. Here you will learn the truth from those who have experienced war.
- www.johnperkins.org / Website of John Perkins, author of ‘Confessions Of An Economic Hitman’. How to build a more just, sustainable world.
- www.icij.org / The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists with reporters all over the Earth. This organization broke the silence on the massive issue of tax avoidance and the havens used by corporations and wealthy individuals to hide income and wealth. There is a lot of good information at this site for those interested in truth.
- www.sacred-texts.org / This website has the primary texts of all the world’s great religions and traditions. It is a one-stop site for those interested in the study of spirituality and the search for wisdom.
- www.nderf.org / The Near Death Experience Research Foundation has thousands of personal accounts to read. The phenomena of NDE is utterly profound and fascinating, shown by the several best-selling books on the subject in recent years.
- (Update: For more recommended websites, see Blogroll.)
And we need balance, so…
- www.jfsr.co.uk / This is a radio station out of England that plays jazz, funk and soul music.
Please feel free to add any powerful books or websites that you’ve experienced in the comments below. Share your found treasures with all who pass this way.
Stephen Biko wrote a book with the title “I Write What I Want”. The idea of being a freethinker is very appealing because it describes one who is open to new ideas and all-inclusive. Please know I do not consider myself any type of “guru”, geopolitical expert, or spiritual teacher. I am only a humble fellow human being who happens to be interested in geopolitics and spirituality.
Many people are searching for answers to our large questions about life, and we hope to see if we can address them positively here. It is a large vision, there is nothing lost in the effort, and it is possible we may in the process accomplish a lot of good. Good conversations are helped along when people ask each other questions.
Feel free to ask away. Your question could be one that I will not be able to answer. Now here we see the beauty of blogging… but someone else likely will.
I will respond to every one of your comments and questions and do my best to help make our conversations ones which will create more good will, peace and brotherhood on this Earth.
The number of men and women who are aware of geopolitical realities on the Earth is growing every day. We would like to share ideas with men and women from all nations and regions of the world to accelerate this awareness, while simultaneously emphasizing possible solutions, including peace, love and oneness.
( Contact : JerryAlatalo [at] Hotmail.com )